The mandate of the Project Management Department (PMO) is to deliver change through automation and reengineering of business processes and to ensure continuous improvement and support of Tangerine's strategy. In addition, the PMO is responsible for producing the standards, guidelines and policies with respect to business cases, project management, analysis, testing and execution of projects. The PMO defines and manages development and operational projects and manages major project requests from inception to implementation. Detailed documentation regarding these processes are available to any employee who is involved, or would like to know more about the processes.
The Project Manager will manage small and medium size business and/or IT projects. In this role, the Project Manager oversees all project activities and team members for assigned projects to ensure project goals and objectives are accomplished within approved time frames, scope and budget. The Project Manager is responsible for the delivery of all project artifacts, and will conduct projects in accordance with Tangerine standard project management discipline, consistently following Project Management methodology.
The Project Manager is able to independently manage small and/or medium Business and/or IT projects as defined by Tangerine. The Project Manager may undertake managing a large project under the guidance of a Senior Project Manager. The Project Manager will report directly to the Senior Manager of Project Management Office.
- Leads assigned project(s) from initiation through entire project life cycle (projects can be assigned mid-way through the lifecycle). Accountable for the successful project delivery (on-time, within scope and budget), implementation and maintenance of project documentation.
- Facilitate the timely definition, review and approval of all project artifacts.
- Develop overall project cost estimates, project cost baseline (based upon signed-off cost, including documented assumptions and range of accuracy) and monitor and report on project cost variance over the project lifecycle.
- Prepare and maintain a project plan and schedule that accurately reflects tasks, time estimates, dependencies and resources (including personnel, technology and equipment) associated with each task, ensuring the inclusion of all required System Development Lifecycle (SDLC) artifacts and processes.
- Track project progress against success criteria throughout the project life cycle. Regularly communicate progress to project stakeholders using agreed communications media.
- Identify internal and external dependencies, as well as lead times and lag times, in order to calculate the shortest realistic schedule. Ongoing management of project dependencies and the critical path. Identification, assessment and resolution of potential conflicts as required.
- Lead and manage the project team in the completion of project deliverables to meet project objectives and goals.
- Manage changes to the approved project baselines, using the Tangerine Project Change Request process. This includes:
- Document, facilitate prioritization and decisioning, track, and report on all Project Change Requests (schedule, scope, cost, benefits, and resources).
- Maintain the Project Change Request log
- Manage project risks and issues using Tangerine Risk and Issue Management processes. This includes:
- The identification, assessment, ongoing management and reporting of project risks and issues.
- Escalation of risks and issues to senior management and key stakeholders as required to ensure that appropriate actions are taken to mitigate risks and resolve issues.
- Maintenance of project risk and issues logs.
- Conduct regular status meetings with project team and appropriate stakeholders, to review actual progress against planned project schedule and milestones, deliverables, costs, benefits and resources, and project risks and issues.
- Be the single point of contact for assigned projects. Coordinate interaction and communication amongst stakeholders and the project team. Identify and coordinate project assignments for internal resources.
- Facilitate the development and approval of Statements of Work (SOW) for external vendors involved in the project. Provide ongoing tracking and reporting on vendor SOW compliance.
- Conduct project Post Implementation Reviews (PIR) and lessons learned sessions to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements, and recommend actions to improve future project performance. Document findings in a PIR report and communicate to project stakeholders.
- For assigned projects, participate in the identification, evaluation and recommendation of business and technology opportunities, as appropriate.
- Participate in the development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of project management methods and practices.
- Provide input to the Tangerine employee performance evaluation process for project team members, as appropriate.
- Participate in the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of third party services and products, as required.
- Drive, challenge and hold business accountable for project deliverables and deadlines.
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of Tangerine systems and business processes.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with the Regulatory Compliance Framework including the Anti-Money Laundering/Anti-Terrorist Financing and Sanctions Policy and all AML related policies, procedures and controls within the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University or College Degree
- 3+ years of experience in a Canadian banking industry is required
- 3+ years of experience directly managing business and/or technology projects is required
- 1+ year of supervisory/managerial experience is considered an asset
- Professional Certification
- Project Management certification is considered an asset
- Technical Skills
- Demonstrated experience in use of MS Project
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proven ability to lead project teams consisting of a variety of resources; business and technology, local and remote and internal and third party
- Demonstrated experience utilizing software development and project management methodologies
- Proven ability to independently manage small and medium size business and technology projects
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and oral
The Project Manager will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.