The Information Technology (IT) Department manages the technology and computer infrastructure that drives Tangerine’s business systems. The IT Department supports the organisation in these critical areas: Production Systems Support, 24/7 Operations, End-User Technical Support, Desktop Management, Network Management, Voice and Data Communications, Business and Web Applications and Strategic Technical Planning.
In a dynamic and fast moving real-time banking environment, high systems performance and availability are key to providing a differentiating customer experience. The Senior Middleware and Unix Specialist is responsible for the software and hardware and systems that are at the foundation of Tangerine Bank.
The Middleware and Unix Specialist is responsible for Architecture, Implementation, and Support of the Middleware software systems and services (both on-premise and cloud-hosted) used by Tangerine Bank. This role is also responsible for the Architecture, Deployment, and Administration for the Tangerine Enterprise UNIX environment including server configuration and support, Host Virtualization, High availability and DR, and AIX and Linux administration.
This role includes operation and tuning of UNIX and Middleware systems and related components to ensure high levels of availability, security and efficiencies of the supported business applications. The incumbent will be responsible to ensuring continuous compliance with regulatory and security standards and supporting. This individual participates in the planning and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure the Production environments are consistent with company goals, industry best practices, and regulatory requirements.
Strategy & Planning
- Contribute to long-term strategic goals for Enterprise Middleware and UNIX systems.
- Capacity planning to help ensure that systems continue to run effectively in the face of continuous growth and increased in activity.
- Represent infrastructure teams in Project Discovery and Planning to design applicable environments for applications and ensure smooth integration with existing systems.
- Technical leadership in making design and planning decisions for core system architecture.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Technical leadership in hardware/systems acquisition and application design.
- Implement middleware and Infrastructure platforms that represent industry best practices to meet corporate objectives.
- Deploy and configure middleware solutions such as Websphere, DataPower, MQ, Gemfire, API Manager, Tomcat, PureApplication, and others as required.
- Design, develop, and implement customised software code and programs to automate the administration and function of servers and applications.
- Provide efficient, high quality technical support services to ensure timely response to queries, resolution of problems and reporting/escalation of issues related to the systems
- Install, Configure, and Manage server and middleware environments across the business.
- Develop, and implement a regular maintenance schedule to deploy Operating system and middleware releases and vendor-supplied patches according to best practices.
- Participate with and support application development teams throughout project lifecycles.
- Continuously monitor, test, and tune system performance.
- Continuously review Operational processes and procedures and enhance, improve, and automate where applicable.
- Remain informed on relevant laws, regulations, and trends, including current and emerging technologies and best practices; advise and counsel management team on their importance.
- Create and maintain backup/recovery and contingency plans for supported servers and applications.
- Work with team members to schedule and provide 24x7 Production pager support.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Post-secondary degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 8+ years of demonstrated hands-on experience supporting and maintaining Middleware, UNIX servers, and Enterprise applications in a real-time Production environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment with a prominent customer service orientation.
- Demonstrated experience with SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, services such as GCP, AWS, Azure and with administration of private and hybrid cloud environments.
- Experience supporting software and systems in a DevOps environment.
- Strong understanding of virtualization, networking, clustering theories, principles, and practices.
- In depth capability with middleware systems such as (but not limited to) Websphere, MQ Series, DataPower, Reverse Proxy, Gemfire, API Manager, Tomcat, and PureApplication.
- Expert knowledge of AIX and Linux.
- Superior working knowledge and hands-on experience with PowerVM, shell scripting.
- Java, C/C++, Perl, Python, and other UNIX flavors an asset.
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language with strong technical documentation skills
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Availability to carry a 24x7 production support pager on a scheduled basis.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Highly self-motivated and self-directed with a keen attention to detail.
- The Middleware Engineer and UNIX Administrator will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
- Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
- All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
***Tangerine is an equal opportunity employer***