The mandate of the Project Management Department (PMO) is to deliver change through automation and reengineering of business processes and to ensure continuous improvement and support of Tangerine's strategy. In addition, the PMO is responsible for producing the standards, guidelines and policies with respect to business cases, project management, analysis, testing and execution of projects. The PMO defines and manages development and operational projects and manages major project requests from inception to implementation. Detailed documentation regarding these processes are available to any employee who is involved, or would like to know more about the processes.
The Scrum Master is an experienced practitioner in Scrum and other agile methodologies who provides insight and advice concerning delivery practices. The Scrum Master will guide the team on how to use agile methods, and will coach the team on continuous improvement and self-organization. The Scrum Master is the guardian of the team, and acts as a buffer between the team and distracting influences. The Scrum Master collaborates closely with the Product Owner to maintain and prioritize the Product Backlog according to business value, and is responsible for the delivery of project artifacts. As a servant leader, the Scrum Master is accountable for removing impediments that affect the ability of the team to deliver the project incrementally while respecting Tangerine’s processes and deadlines. The Scrum Master will report directly to the Senior Manager of Project Management Office.
Leadership and Execution
- Facilitates Daily Stand-Ups with the Scrum Team.
- Collaborates with the Product Owner to prioritize the Product Backlog in order of business value.
- Develops and maintains a Kanban board, with the assistance of the team, to track work in process.
- Identifies, manages and resolves Risks, Issues and Blockers.
- Collaborates with the Product Owner and Scrum Team to develop and maintain the project Story Map, and initial Release Plan by Minimum Viable Product (MVP).
- Consistently monitors and reports on Scrum Team metrics, using a Cumulative Flow diagram and metrics such as Velocity and Cycle Time.
- Complies with bank policies and procedures and regulatory body requirements for project delivery and financial rigor.
- Ensures there is common awareness of the process, work in progress and shared agreements.
- Compiles and distributes the weekly project status report according to accepted practices and timelines.
- Manages and reports on progress against the project budget on behalf of the Product Owner, who is accountable for the project budget. These activities include monthly budget vs actuals reconciliation, variance reporting and forecasting according to Tangerine standard practices.
Coaching and Mentoring
- Coaches individuals and teams in understanding how to continuously improve and adopt agile practices.
- Challenges individuals and teams to improve.
- Facilitates all standard Scrum ceremonies for the team.
- Accountable for ensuring that all ceremonies deliver value to the team and to the organization.
- Responsible for creating an energetic, collaborative and motivated team culture where the team can focus on their goals.
- Breaks down organizational silos and promotes collaboration.
- Creates an environment of high-trust.
- For assigned projects, participate in the identification, evaluation and recommendation of business and technology opportunities, as appropriate.
- Participate in the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of third party services and products, as required.
- Drive, challenge and hold business accountable for project deliverables and deadlines.
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of Tangerine systems and business processes.
- Responsible for understanding and complying with the Regulatory Compliance Framework including the Anti-Money Laundering/Anti-Terrorist Financing and Sanctions Policy and all AML related policies, procedures and controls within the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University or College Degree
- 4+ years of experience in business and/or technology projects is required
- Experience in Canadian banking industry is considered an asset
- Minimum 1 year of supervisory/managerial experience is considered an asset
- Professional Certification
- Recognized Scrum Master certification is highly desirable
- Specialized Knowledge
- Demonstrated experience with common Agile practices (Scrum, Kanban, Story Mapping)
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate the effective application of Kanban, Scrum, Story Mapping, Product Canvassing, Story writing, story splitting, MVP definition and Product Backlog Refinement
- Technical Skills
- Strong analytical and technical skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Proven ability to work in small and medium size business and technology projects using an Agile delivery approach
- Proven ability to work in teams consisting of a variety of resources; business and technology, local and remote and internal and third party
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills both written and oral
The Scrum Master will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
Tangerine is an Equal Opportunity Employer