The mandate of the Project Management Department (PMO) is to deliver change through automation and reengineering of business processes and to ensure continuous improvement and support of Tangerine's strategy. In addition, the PMO is responsible for producing the standards, guidelines and policies with respect to business cases, project management, analysis, testing and execution of projects. The PMO defines and manages development and operational projects and manages major project requests from inception to implementation. Detailed documentation regarding these processes are available to any employee who is involved, or would like to know more about the processes.
The Project Control Officer works closely with Project/Scrum/Program Managers, PMO, Project Team Members, Finance, Strategic Project Office and other key IT and Business Stakeholders (e.g. Digital Product Owners).
The Project Control Officer assumes project support responsibility for all aspects of the projects/programs/portfolio over the entire project life cycle (initiate, plan, execute, control, close), under direct supervision of a Project/Scrum/Program Manager. To effectively support the project the Project Control Officer must be able to understand project scope and project objectives, as well as the role and function of each team member.
The position requires good knowledge of project management tools and methods, and understanding of client’s life cycle development methodologies.
This role is responsible for adherence to project management standards, promotes innovative or improved methods to get the work done and implement best practices.
The Project Control Officer requires excellent communication and relationship building skills.
The Project Control Officer reports directly to Director of Project Management Office.
- Maintaining the project files such as: project documentation, approvals, various spreadsheets, meeting minutes, monthly status reports, third party contracts and other correspondence and documentation as appropriate.
- Maintaining the project financials and budget; this includes auditing items to be delivered under projects, reviewing the weekly and monthly time tracking reports for anomalies, ensuring all invoices have been approved with the proper sign-offs prior to payment and ensuring drawdowns are properly recorded and maintaining ongoing cost to complete forecasts. This includes full reconciliation of the project budget and completing investigations for differences as they occur.
- Acting as the project secretariat supporting the Project/Scrum/Program Manager using various tools (e.g. MS Project, Confluence); this includes maintaining various logs (e.g RAID), project plan and regular updates for status reporting, preparing/distributing agendas, scheduling and attending meetings, preparing/distributing clear and detailed minutes on a timely basis, recording, communicating and following up on action items and maintaining project distribution lists.
- Supporting the Project/Program Manager to ensure all appropriate areas are represented on the project team and to maintain momentum of the project against a background of constantly conflicting priorities. The individual is required to multitask on several projects at one time depending upon complexity and activities in progress.
- Communicating of project status, completing the agreed upon project reports, and escalating issues to the Project/Program Manager, as required
- Other duties as assigned
- University or College Degree
- 5+ years of experience in the Canadian banking industry
- 5+ years of experience in a Project Coordinator role or similar role
- Project management experience is an asset
- Very strong Financial background in tracking program budgets and reconciliations
- Familiarity with risk management and quality assurance control
- Extensive experience with aligning stakeholders and communicating information that enables leaders, teams and stakeholders to have transparency on the underlying issues and potential solutions in varying settings including workshops, small group sessions or one-on-one meetings
- Professional Certification
- PMP designation is an asset
- Formal Project Management Education is desired
- Technical Skills
- Familiarity with IT concepts, methodology and vocabulary
- Excellent knowledge of the various disciplines of a software development lifecycle (i.e. requirements management, analysis and design, testing, implementation, deployment, change configuration and management, etc.)
- Strong MS Excel skills required to manage, track and report the project budget
- MS Office Suite tools (MS Project Schedule, Visio, PowerPoint)
- Confluence would be an asset.
- Strong presentation, facilitation, analysis and problem solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects of varying complexity in a team environment, as well as developing a thorough understanding of project management techniques
- Ability to successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Ability to develop and maintain an MS Project Schedule, including multiple files consolidation and reporting
- Ability to work independently with focus on time management to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding and rapidly changing environment
- Expert ability to balance competing or conflicting requests of various projects, stakeholders, requiring a professional approach and highly developed negotiation and influencing skills.
- Effective leadership skills
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy and results-oriented; be diligent and work with a sense of urgency
- Very strong organizational sense and effective time and priority management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with diverse groups, managers and subject matter experts and ability to negotiate (able to express oneself clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing) effectively to manage project delivery and project coordination of complex activities
- Negotiation skills to be effective with team members and management team in order to acquire and maintain project support
- Solid problem solving skills and analytical skills to creatively develop unique solutions/approaches to resolve issues
- Perseverance, flexibility and efficiency to overcome challenges standing in the way of the successful completion of the project
The Project Control Officer will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
Tangerine is an equal opportunity employer.