Tangerine is looking for motivated and strategically-minded Digital Product Owners to drive the development of our next generation banking experience.
Reporting to the Lead Digital Product Owner, the Product Owner acts as a bridge between various areas of the business and our delivery and development teams, keeping the business abreast of the project status and presenting output on the one hand whilst also working to get answers to any questions the team might have, clarify priorities, or otherwise solve daily problems. Day by day you’ll work in close collaboration with developers, UX and product designers, Client and product strategists, solutions architects, QA engineers and other experts to deliver high-quality software which is a pleasure to use.
Although we value self-organizing teams, the Product Owner will often find their natural leadership skills called upon as they take responsibility for ensuring that software is delivered on time, on budget - and in a way, that meets the business expectations. This is a rewarding, creative and challenging role which demands initiative, resourcefulness and good problem-solving skills.
- Communicate with the business stakeholders and take responsibility for building “the right thing.”
- Serve as the primary source of external information for the Scrum team, offering clear definitions of the targeted capability, the intended value to the customer, and functional/non-functional requirements.
- Manage engagement with bank stakeholders and effectively communicate product release contents and expected product capabilities/customer journey.
- Apply incremental delivery principles, drive the delivery of business value, communicate progress, elicit feedback and enable stakeholder reviews for validation in the process.
Leadership and Execution
- Author, refine and approve backlog items, with clearly articulated “definitions of done”.
- Prioritize user stories to best achieve business goals, ensuring sufficient depth of groomed items for development consumption and commitment.
- Ensures user stories are clearly defined and the team understands the scope and expectation of work.
- Ensures that the product backlog is visible, transparent, and clear to all, and decides what the team will work on next.
- Assist in the development of product roadmaps to identify the minimum viable product and subsequent releases.
- Play a leadership role in the Scrum team to ensure that high quality and creative solutions are implemented for challenging problems.
- Facilitate creative problem solving on a day-today basis no matter the circumstances, working closely with development on implementation challenges, turning ambiguity into clarity in a fast-paced environment.
- Use KPIs and product metrics to inform the team’s direction.
- Review QA test plans to align with acceptance criteria, facilitate testing and review of early builds for adherence to functional requirements.
- Identify and manage business activities (operating model, training, communications, etc.) required to support agile initiatives.
- Manage project financials, develop value-at-stake and total cost of ownership models and define KPIs to measure business outcomes and team success.
- Coach team members and help with their development / desired outcomes as required.
- University or College Degree
- 5+ years related experience in product management or technical solution delivery is preferred.
- Excellent project delivery skills, with proven accomplishments leading cross-functional projects.
- Facilitation and fact-based problem solving to resolve complex issues and drive actionable outcomes.
- Previous work experience with significant accountabilities relating but not limited to:
- Product management and product development
- Leading IT and business teams
- Influencing senior executive decisions
- Experience in a technology company or top-tier technology consulting firm an asset.
- Experience with Agile tools such as Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Master's / MBA considered an asset.
- Professional Certification
- Certified Scrum Product Owner designation is an asset.
- Working knowledge of software, Information Technology, mobile application development is an asset.
- Technology and design focus with a strong understanding of the development process, creative process and overall UX/UI.
- Strong data driven approach, utilizing key metrics and evidence in decision making.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, ability to communicate on a broad spectrum (from deep technical discussions to high level executive vision).
- Excellent written, verbal, virtual, and live communications skills.
- Enthusiastic, thorough, inclusive and results-oriented; Ability and desire to help others thrive in a dynamic team-oriented environment.
- Eager to mentor, teach, share and learn.
- Deep passion in first class customer experiences, innovation and delivering software.
- An Agile “mindset” and the flexibility to adapt to new and evolving environments.
- A positive attitude, thirst for knowledge, team oriented, pragmatic, willing to fail.
- Very strong organizational sense and effective time and priority management.
The Digital Product Owner will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
Tangerine is an equal opportunity employer