Client Business Support (CBS) is a client focused processing department that enables the bank to demonstrate that a virtual bank can offer superior client experience by efficiently and effectively delivering on the promises made to our clients.
The CBS department is made up of several teams; each team plays a unique role in providing support for both Deposit/Chequing and Lending products.
The following teams along with their specialized focus is what makes Client Business Support an integral piece of our organization:
- Account Opening
- Registered Products, Statements and Year- End
- Mutual Funds and Cannex
- Quality Assurance
Overall, Client Business Support is committed to delivering a 'Wow' experience. While we do not speak directly with our clients, we make sure we deliver on promises made to our clients!
The Senior Specialist, Tax Reporting, Level 1 is a subject matter expert that has experience to provide through problem resolution as related to customer transactions generated by the Call Centre, Café’s, mail-in, online applications and from various other departments, with an emphasis on quality and integrity of work, able to work independently within established timeframes. The Senior Specialist will report directly to the Manager of Statements, Tax Reporting, BSA and Cannex.
The Tax Reporting Team is responsible for the daily processing of all tax reporting related products inclusive of non-registered savings, RSP, RIF and Tax Free Savings products within the bank. This includes daily tax receipt maintenance, reprinting duplicate tax receipts, TFSA rejected report, sending xml files to CRA/RQ (amended and originals), CRA withholding tax balancing, dormant account maintenance, and FATCA reporting.
The Senior Specialist will be relied upon with questions from the team or department, participate in projects as a subject matter expert as well as conducting testing for any specified functional area.
The position offers the Senior Specialist Level 1 an opportunity to utilize strong time management skills, lead by example, able to participate in peer coaching and provide written feedback for documented reviews.
- Approximately 80% of the day is focused on day to day processing (including escalations, etc.) with remainder of the day to assist Senior Specialist Level 2, Manager or Senior Manager as required.
- Responsible for the training, support and onboarding of new team members.
- Responsible for exception decisions for high balance or restricted transactions.
- Monitor and review all errors pertaining to the Tax Reporting team and assist Manager with coaching, feedback and resolution.
- Communicate with the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and Revenue Quebec (RQ) tax related areas.
- Act as a resource for questions or issues concerning Tax Reporting policies and procedures to manage the Bank’s risk.
- Investigate and provide a resolution to the CRA TFSA division with issues regarding TFSA.
- Monitor the CRA and RQ websites for updates on the XML schema, new tax slip images and new Government requirements and provide the changes to the required departments.
- Understand the process, requirements and delivery of tax filing to the CRA and RQ.
- Yearly testing to verify all updates have been implemented and to confirm tax slips are generating accurately.
- Report XML files to the CRA and RQ in a timely manner.
- Provide assistance during audits from the CRA.
- Assist in completing multiple reports such as the TFSA rejected report, and TFSA-Estates, etc.
- Pull and prep the Dormancy report to obtain numbers to provide to the Manager which assist with planning the 10 year dormancy account closure.
- Pull and prep the 2, 5, 9, year Dormant accounts to be provided to Marketing.
- Create the 10 Year Dormant Draft report and advise Finance of the items which will be remitted to Bank Of Canada.
- Work with Finance to create the dormancy wire transfer to Bank of Canada.
- Coordinate with printing vendor for data testing, tax slip image updates, stock and the mailing of tax slips.
- Assist/execute the necessary steps when dealing with additional tasks and departments (mailing letters to clients.
- Review and report the FATCA file for Tangerine and Tangerine Investments.
- Liaise with the Bank of Nova Scotia FATCA team.
- Assist in investigation and escalated problem resolution, liaising with Leader and Call Centre including the CBS General Line, Finance and IT.
- Assist in solution management dedicated to providing a positive work environment, foster teamwork, and growth and maintaining high team morale.
- Ensure Service Level Agreements are met daily for all client requests generated via mail, fax, email and queue based items.
- Contribute to the ongoing process improvements in the CBS Department.
- Participate in testing and development of training material as required by the business.
- Update procedures and guidelines as new processes are introduced or changed.
- Identify and create test cases for the purposes of regression, adhoc, incident, enhancement and project requirements.
- Complete, review and obtain signoff on Foreign Exchange rate and Tangerine Product rate changes upon notification from Finance/Product.
- Provide overrides to Associates and Specialists for high balance or restricted transactions.
- Update and maintain OrangeU quizzes pertaining to CBS Tax Reporting annually.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University or College Degree
- 3 years of financial institution experience is required
- Banking, Canadian Securities and/or Investment Funds in Canada courses is an asset
- Enrollment and completion of Tangerine interview guidelines course
- Specialized Knowledge
- Expert knowledge of Tangerine products, systems, policies and procedures is required
- Specialized knowledge of federal and provincial tax laws as it applies to non-registered (T5, RL3, NR4) and registered products (RSP BOY, T4RSP, T4RIF, RL-2, T550, TFSA) is required
- Specialized knowledge of CRA/RQ rules and regulation regarding Tax slips and filings is required
- Technical Skills
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset
- Strong analytical, organizational and problem solving skills
- Proficiency in PC software – MS Office Suite (including Visio)
- Ability to function in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interpersonal and motivation skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented, requires a high degree of accuracy
The Senior Specialist, Tax Reporting, Level 1 will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
Tangerine is an equal opportunity employer.