The Information Technology (IT) department manages the technology and computer infrastructure that drives Tangerine’s business systems. The IT department supports the organization in these critical areas: End-User Technical Support, Desktop Management, Network Management, Voice and Data Communications, Business and Web Applications, Project Management and Strategic Technical Planning.
The Senior Business Analyst's primary role is to elicit, analyze, validate, define and write the business requirements and technology independent processes and solutions that meet the needs for various business areas. This role will bridge the gap between the business and technology solution providers (e.g. vendors, infrastructure team and development team). The Senior Business Analyst is usually involved in medium and large size projects.
The Senior Business Analyst has years of deep, practical business analysis experience with repeated practice in a variety of complex situations. The Senior Business Analyst is expected to act as a mentor to Project Analysts and Business Analysts. The Senior Business Analyst will also support requirements related project activities across the lifecycle of the project (e.g. design and development, testing, implementation). The Senior Business Analyst will report directly to the Senior Manager of Project Management Office.
- Work with the Project Owner, Project Sponsor and Project Manager to document the project vision and the project’s scope.
- Responsible to thoroughly understand and communicate stakeholder requirements and distribute relevant information, documentation and artifacts to project stakeholders.
- Responsible for the preparation, completion and compliance of business requirements based on business needs.
- Elicit requirements using interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, use cases, scenarios, business analysis and workflow analysis.
- Write requirements specifications using standard templates, using natural language simply, clearly, unambiguously and concisely.
- Decompose high-level business and user requirements into functional requirements specified in an appropriate level of detail suitable for use by those who must base their work on the requirements.
- Analyze data related to active and/or proposed projects.
- Proactively communicate and collaborate with external and internal customers to analyze information needs.
- Work collaboratively with Business and IT staff to develop and maintain thorough knowledge of product, system and process capabilities, ensuring precise communications between IT and stakeholders, technical compatibility and user satisfaction.
- Serves as the conduit between the business, external vendor and IT through which requirements flow.
- Prepare process diagrams that reflect current and enhanced business processes.
- Work with the Project Manager to assess the priority and impact of all requirements-related changes for accuracy ensuring consideration to potential conflicts.
- Translate standard business requirements into relevant, IT-specific summaries and instructions.
- Supports the Project Manager to manage requirements related activities and deliverables throughout the project life cycle (e.g. change requests, issues, risks, schedules, status reporting etc.).
- Work with the Project Manager and Project Team to identify, anticipate, assess, manage and resolve issues and risks related to requirements' activities and deliverables.
- Identify, anticipate, assess, manage and resolve issues and risks related to requirements' activities and deliverables. Assess project issues and identify solutions to meet productivity, quality and customer goals. Escalate those that are unresolved to the Project Manager to ensure that possible actions will mitigate these.
- Participate in regular status meetings with all stakeholders, to review project deliverables and deadlines, keeping the stakeholder’s needs and requirements continuously in view.
- Lead requirements related activities and deliverables for medium to large size projects including, but not limited to, product, platform and process enhancement.
- Day to day supervision of the work of other Business Analyst resources engaged on assigned project(s).
- Provide informal guidance and mentorship on business analysis practices to other Business Analysts and project team members.
- Lead by example, with energy, passion, enthusiasm and acts with integrity.
- Participate in the development, implementation and ongoing maintenance of business analysis methods and practices.
- Participate in the solicitation, evaluation, and selection of third party services and products, as required.
- Drive, challenge and hold business accountable for deliverables and deadlines relate to business requirements.
- Interact with all levels of staff in the organization.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University or College Degree
- 5+ years of experience in the Canadian banking industry
- 5+ years of experience in a Business Analyst role
- Project management experience is an asset
- Comprehensive and working knowledge of both Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) methods including waterfall and agile
- Extensive experience with aligning stakeholders and communicating information that enables leaders, teams and stakeholders to have transparency on the underlying issues and potential solutions in varying settings including workshops, small group sessions or one-on-one meetings
- Strong financial services background with working knowledge of retail banking products and systems
- Professional Certification
- International Institute of Business Analysis (IIBA) certification is an asset
- Specialized Knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of the various disciplines of a software development lifecycle (i.e. requirements management, analysis and design, testing, implementation, deployment, change configuration and management, etc.)
- Strong business analysis skills required, including a thorough understanding of how to interpret customer business needs and translate them into application and operational requirements
- Technical Skills
- Bilingualism (French/English) is considered an asset
- Technical background is considered an asset
- High proficiency in MS Word and MS Visio, with demonstrated experience using other
- Strong presentation, facilitation, analysis and problem solving skills
- MS Office Suite tools (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Ability to successfully engage in multiple initiatives simultaneously
- Able to work independently with focus on time management to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding and rapidly changing environment
- Effective leadership skills
- Detail-oriented with a high degree of accuracy and results-oriented; be diligent and work with a sense of urgency
- Very strong organizational sense and effective time and priority management
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to interact professionally with diverse groups, managers and subject matter experts and ability to negotiate (able to express oneself clearly and concisely both verbally and in writing) effectively to manage project delivery and project coordination of complex activities
The Senior Business Analyst will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
Tangerine is an equal opportunity employer.