The Information Technology (IT) department manages the technology and computer infrastructure that drives Tangerine’s business systems. The IT department supports the organization in these critical areas: End-User Technical Support, Desktop Management, Network Management, Voice and Data Communications, Business and Web Applications and Strategic Technical Planning.
The Senior Database Administrator’s role is to design, install, monitor, maintain and performance tune databases while ensuring high levels of data availability. This individual is also be responsible for developing, implementing and overseeing database policies and procedures to ensure the integrity and availability of databases and their accompanying software. The Senior Database Administrator will report directly to the Director of Infrastructure Project and Database Systems.
Strategy and Planning
- Assess and develop long-term strategic goals for databases in conjunction with data owners and department managers.
- Work with application development staff to develop database architectures, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures.
- Design and implement redundant systems, policies, and procedures for disaster recovery and data archiving to ensure effective protection and integrity of data assets.
Acquisition and Deployment
- Conduct research and make recommendations on database products, services, protocols, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts.
- Create models for new database development and/or changes to existing ones.
- Install and configure relevant network components to ensure database access as well as database consistency and integrity.
- Respond to and resolve database access and performance issues.
- Monitor database system details within the database, including stored procedures and execution time, and implement efficiency improvements.
- Monitor, optimize and allocate physical data storage for database systems.
- Plan and coordinate data migrations between systems.
- Develop, implement, and maintain change control and testing processes for modifications to databases.
- Create, or support creation of, required reports in response to business needs.
- Establish appropriate end-user database access control levels.
- Develop routines for end users to facilitate best practices database use.
- Manage and/or provide guidance to members of the team.
- Implement corporate policy and audits; develop, publish, enforce and maintain standards and procedures.
- Manage development, test and production environments; perform administrative functions; maintain documentation.
- Promote changes via established IT change control procedures.
- Create and manage to service level agreements.
- Create and maintain data models and metadata.
- Design, create and maintain database structures; review application design and SQL code.
- Design, test and implement backup/recovery strategies and contingency plans.
- Monitor, analyze and report on availability, performance and resource consumption.
- Assess capacity and make recommendations on disk and server sizing based on projected growth.
- Plan, test and implement software upgrades; monitor alerts; administer licenses; interface with vendors.
- Remain current with industry and product direction; evaluate new technologies and product features; make recommendations as to how Tangerine can benefit.
- Troubleshoot problems; provide database problem resolution assistance to IT staff.
- Provide day-to-day consultancy and support to IT staff; act as backup for other Database Systems staff.
- Monitor daily operations; log issues and ensure resolution.
- Other duties as assigned.
- University or College Degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of experience as a DBA
- 3+ years of SQL coding experience
- 5+ years of application development experience with at least 2 in a senior capacity
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Technical Skills
- Superior working knowledge of Oracle or SQL Server database products and the SQL language
- Strong understanding of database structures, theories, principles and practices
- Working technical experience with designing, building, installing, configuring and supporting database servers
- Experience with requirements gathering and database design
- Familiarity with client/server, operating system, storage and networking fundamentals
- Basic working knowledge of Windows (SQL Server) and/or AIX (Oracle)
- Strong technical documentation skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Working experience with two or more database management systems (Oracle and SQL Server ideal)
- Demonstrated ability in performance tuning and capacity management
- Ability to conduct research into database issues, standards and products as required
- Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
- Availability to carry a 24x7 production support pager on a scheduled basis
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Highly self-motivated and directed
- Keen attention to detail
The Senior Database Administrator will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
Tangerine is an Equal Opportunity Employer.