The mandate of the Human Resources department is to develop, implement and co-ordinate policies and programs related to: employment, employee relations, payroll, benefits, recruitment, internal communications and succession planning and employee development. The department ensures compliance with all employment standards and governing legislation.
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist is responsible for the processing of Tangerine Part-time and Full-time employee payrolls. The Payroll Specialist also ensures pay, bonuses and adjustments are processed in a timely and accurate manner in compliance with current government legislation. The successful candidate must be well organized and must be able to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and have exceptional customer service skills. The Payroll and Benefits Specialist reports directly to the Manager of Payroll and Benefits.
- Prepare input batches, inputting data and balancing data
- Calculate amounts to be paid, deducted or deferred, including verifying and calculating changes and retro payments in salary, allowances, vacation, benefits and other earnings and deductions
- Calculating and prepare manual net pays and payments as required
- Process taxable benefits, STD and parental leave
- Prepare and upload Sunlife benefit files and investigate any discrepancies
- Create bi-weekly payroll processing reports through Crystal Reports
- Responsible for accurate processing and integrity of data
- Handle employee queries and dealing with confidential information on a daily basis
- Ensure compliance with payroll legislation
- Assist with year-end process and distribution of T4’s and Releve 1’s
- Assist in external and internal audits
- Resolve outstanding items on the payroll reconciliations
- Ensure timely distribution of register reports, direct deposit, pay-slips, etc., to departments after balancing input to output
- Identify and implement improvements to processes on a continuous basis
- File, store and shred of payroll documents as required
- Assist Manager in design, implementation and on-going testing for compliance with internal controls
- Facilitate consultation with human resources, work force teams and managers to develop improved operating methods and procedures
- Process and control the payment to third parties on garnishments of employee’s wages by court order or tax levies, insuring that deductions are in accordance with Provincial and Federal legislations
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years of work experience in Payroll
- Professional Certification
- PCP Designation through Canadian Payroll Association or in progress
- Specialized Knowledge
- Extensive working knowledge of ADP (ezLaborManager, Pay@Work and People@Work)
- Technical Skills
- Bilingualism (English/French) is an asset
- Strong analytical, mathematical and problem solving skills
- Strong PC skills with proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and be reliable
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
The Payroll and Benefits Specialist will be working in a traditional office environment and may be subject to special working conditions as needed by the business. Special working conditions may cover a range of circumstances from regular evening and weekend work, overtime, shift work, working outdoors and/or working with challenging clients.
Tangerine will make reasonable accommodations for the known physical or mental disabilities of an otherwise qualified employee or applicant for employment, unless undue hardship to Tangerine would result. Any applicant or employee who requires accommodation in order to perform the essential functions of a job should contact Human Resources or his or her supervisor.
All members of the Tangerine Team are responsible for managing risk and compliance within their departments. As such, employees should maintain and demonstrate the highest standards of integrity and ethical conduct in accordance with Tangerine policies, guidelines and directions.
Tangerine is an equal opportunity employer.